Networking and exchange in a relaxed atmosphere
Once a year, Research Academy Ruhr invites all postdoctoral researchers of the three UA Ruhr universities to the Sommerabend (Summer Evening) at the Beckmanns Hof in RUB’s Botanical Garden. This year, due to the pandemic, the summer evening will be held digitally for the first time.
What does the Sommerabend offer you?
The evening starts with a talk or a panel discussion with experts from science or industry on current and career-relevant topics. Afterwards, all participants are invited to exchange ideas and network. Please find details in the program section below.
Who can participate?
Postdoctoral researchers of all subject fields of Ruhr-Universität Bochum, TU Dortmund University, and the University Duisburg-Essen.
Language of the event is German or English.
Date: The next Sommerabend will take place on 17 June 2021 from 5.00 to 7.00 pm and deals with the question What is the significance of the current discussion about science communication for researchers and research?
Science communication in focus
What is the significance of the current discussion about science communication for researchers and research? This topic will be discussed at the Sommerabend for postdoctoral researchers of the UA Ruhr universities on 17 June, 5.00–7.00 pm. You are most welcome to join the discussion with other scientists and with our experts from science, science communication, and science journalism.
In November 2019, the BMBF published the Federal Ministry of Education and Research's policy paper on science communication, which embedded the topic of science communication in the political discussion. In its position paper, the BMBF presents a series of measures, such as the development of instruments for evaluating and measuring the impact of science communication or the conception of dialogue and participation formats. Since September 2020, leading representatives from science and science communication have been discussing strategies for science communication in working groups under the title #FactoryWisskomm.
Discuss with our experts!
At the Sommerabend, we hold a panel discussion with you and the invited speakers on the discussion initiated by the BMBF's policy paper on science communication in research and the responsibility of researchers in society:
- What is meant by science communication? Why is it relevant for research and researchers?
- What is the impact of this initiative on research?
- Does science communication contribute to the own research reputation? Is it also recognized as a research achievement?
- What is the significance of science communication for one's own research career?
The following experts will participate in the panel discussion:
- Prof. Dr. Julika Griem, Director of the Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities (KWI) & vice president of the DFG
- Dr. Jan-Hendrik Kamlage, Head of the Research Group Participation and Transformation
- Beatrice Lugger, Director of the National Institute for Science Communication (NaWik) & member of the #Factory Wisskomm
- Dr. Nicolas Wöhrl, Science communicator (podcast "Methodisch inkorrekt!") & physicist
- Prof. Dr. Holger Wormer, Professor of journalism at TU Dortmund, focus on science journalism
Moderation: Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Löwenstein, Speaker of the Research Academy Ruhr
After the panel discussion, we invite you to get in touch with the speakers and each other in break-out sessions, which you can enter and leave individually.
Please register for this year's Sommerabend by 14 June using the following registration form:
For our registration management, we use registration forms of the service provider eveeno®. eveeno® works compliant with the European Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO).