CoachingPLUS: Supervising doctoral researchers
Time: Tue–Wed, 21–22 March 2023, 9.00-15.00 each day plus 3.0 hours pre-workshop activities
Location: Online via Zoom
Target group: Junior Faculty (Habilitation Candidates, Junior Research Group Leaders, and Junior Professors [with and without tenure track] of the UA Ruhr Universities (max. 9 participants)
Trainer: Dr. Thomas Koch
Registration deadline: 7 March 2023
Contact for organizational questions: Dr. Ursula Justus (RUB Research School)
The programme supports doctoral supervisors in developing the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding to guide a diverse range of candidates to successful and timely completion. It covers core responsibilities in supporting the research of doctoral candidates, their development as researchers, and establishing effective supervisory relationships. The workshop also provides the opportunity to reflect your own supervision style as well as guidance on how to adapt and develop your supervisory practice in a continually evolving doctoral context.
By participating in the workshop, you will be better equipped to:
- attract, recruit, and evaluate prospective doctoral candidates
- set direction to manage expectations, responsibilities, and relationships
- provide support and effective feedback to develop the candidate and enable progress
- guide your candidate to manage project and time to ensure successful completion
- navigate both your academic and non-academic responsibilities with confidence.
This highly interactive workshop employs theoretical input and practice scenarios, plenary discussions, individual and small group work, experience sharing, elements of systemic coaching, and expert advice.
Dr. Thomas Koch is a research management consultant and certified business trainer and coach. Holding a PhD in physical chemistry from the UK, he builds on 10 years of international experience as a researcher and 12 years of professional experience as a research manager and senior administrator at universities in Bochum (RUB) and Munich (LMU).
* In order to provide you with a comfortable registration process, we use registration forms of our service partner eveeno®. Please note the information on the allocation of places on the program overview page.